Learning French with Duolingo



Duolingo


So since I learned a passable amount of Chinese while living in Taiwan (I say passable because firstly Chinese truly is one of the hardest languages to learn to write and secondly I didn't really try to hard to begin with). Following in this vein however (of learning languages, not of dismal performance) I decided to learn French while we're living in Canada. Thankfully this seems to be a whole lot easier, no doubt thanks to the romanized characters and the fact that so many words I already know come from French routes.

As blog followers will know I'm addicted to my iPhone and I'm happy to say I found a great app to teach me French in bite size instalments. Introducing: Duolingo!

Duolingo is a free language-learning website and crowdsourced text translation platform. The service is designed so that, as users progress through the lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents. The site offers Spanish, French, German and Portuguese courses for English speakers, as well as English for Spanish and Portuguese speakers. Blah Blah Blah (this last bit was direct from Wikipedia- sue me).

Duolingo is fun, easy and IT WORKS. Trust me I've tried dozens of language learning programmes in my time and most are a disappointment. This app on the other hand has short lessons (perfect for my limited attention span), useful words and a bright interface thats fun. 

2 versions available: Web and iPhone/iPad. Get on it.

Au Revoir! 



Comments

Popular Posts